New Look for the Site

I’ve grown tired of the Wordpress theme I was using, K2. It’s a nice theme, but I didn’t like how heavy it was and I started growing more frustrated that it wasn’t “stretchy”. I searched for a bit tonight for something better and after trying a number of them out, I found blog.txt. I wasn’t sure about it at first, but I’m really liking it now. It’s super, super-simple and I like the elegance of it. I’m having some trouble getting Ultimate Tag Warrior to play with it, but I think it’s doable.

Let me know what you think, or if you find something broken.


I have tags working now, although it’s not perfect. I’ve sent a note to the theme creator to see what his plans are. I’m thinking he’s going to wait for Wordpress 2.2 and native tags support rather than messing with Ultimate Tag Warrior. I also got Extended Live Archive working in the archives. That makes me happy since I think the AJAX work in ELA is so helpful for that function – not just eye candy.

I’m liking this theme a lot – I like that it leaves the focus on the actual content and spares some of the cruft. I re-enabled some plugins (like Share This) although I’m not sure that I like the cruft it adds. We’ll see.

I’ve also enabled WP-Cache for the first time. It seems transparent and promises speed improvements. I expect the site will be a ton faster for everyone already since the new theme is so much smaller than K2. I also dropped the number of items on the blog main page to 5. I expect that nobody reads down the page.

Jamie Thingelstad @jthingelstad

This work by Jamie Thingelstad
is licensed under a Creative Commons
Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License